Monday, June 28, 2010

Reunited

So I had my 20 year high school reunion on Saturday.

In my eyes, the turn out was great! BFFs that I am still sister-close with and good friends that I don't get to see all that often, were there. People that were friends of mine but, for one reason or another I haven't seen since graduation day, they were there. And those that I didn't interact with at all during school, they were there too.

The thing that always gets me at these reunions is the easy conversations that can spark up with people I am certain I didn't make eye contact with in high school. You know how things are in high school. Some people you hang with and some you don't. But as I age, I have found, it is easy to talk to almost anyone. So, at the reunion I found myself having real conversations about work, kids, spouses or non-spouses with people I never talked to in high school. It can be awkward if you really think about it in the moment, a little fake maybe. But it was all sincere and they were real conversations.  How things can change after you've been away for a long while.

I guess I was a little cliquey in high school, I don't like to think I was nasty but perhaps a bit standoffish to some. A result of nothing other than my own insecurities, I'm sure. But that's how it is in high school, right? Different interests, different groups.

But I can't help but wish that there could have been a little "this is me now" whispering to the "that was me then". Little bits of advice like , "Go ahead and sing in the choir, you'll really like it." OR "Take out a map every now and then and pay attention to where you are in the world." OR "You'll feel really good about yourself when you are good to others." Or maybe this oldie but goodie, "Take advantage of all the learning opportunities in school, join clubs and get involved because the day will come when you have to pay for stuff like this!"  All things I'm sure my parents said, but who listens to their parents in high school?

Well, it was a splendid night!  What was the best part? Was it when one of my dear old (male) friends compared me to the "life sized girlfriend doll" of an old classmate?  Charmed, but no it wasn't that.  Was it the 'totally 80s' pre-party? Nope, not that. Maybe it was the sincere (I think) "You look great!" that I received from some, even though I feel like a beast these days? No, not that either.

The best part was seeing old friends, remembering the easy days of high school, and feeling that bond, still after 20 years, that you have with the people you grew up, yep that was it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sounds like you had a fabulous time!

    I often wish that I could visit my "high school self" and drop a few nuggets of wisdom in her lap... :)

    ReplyDelete